Friday, January 1, 2010

Our Journey To Adoption

Eric and I have had a heart for adoption for a number of years. It seemed like every time we turned around we had family, friends and neighbors that were going through the adoption process. Many of our friends and family were going through infertility issues which led them down the path of adoption. We on the other hand seemed to look at each other and were pregnant. After having 3 babies in 36 months we decided that we needed to think about our trends and make some decisions. Especially since our last pregnancy happened while on the pill and nursing. I love being a mom, love being pregnant and loving having babies. I am the type of person that could just keep having babies but I also knew another baby in a year would possibly make me an overwhelmed mommy and also take a toll on our family and marriage! I prayed through my pregnancy with Shane that God would clearly direct us in our decision about our family. I came to a place that I didn't totally feel like we were done with our family and knowing adoption was an option for us. I also felt like I had to get to a place that if we didn't end up having more kids or adopting I was content and at peace with having my 3 little blessings. So six months after Shane was born we permanently took care of the possibility of having more babies biologically.

Even in the days when I had 3 little ones 3 and under I would research adoption, follow others going through the process, file literature away and pray about God's plan for our family. I was really drawn to Guatemala because I loved the fact that the babies were in foster care and you could adopt them under a year. It was also appealing that you would only have to be gone for a couple days. About a year a half ago when they shut down Guatemala's adoption I started researching other places. I became frustrated with the process, the wait and the amount of time they expected you to be in various country. There were some places that required 2 trips and others that required you to be there anywhere from 3 weeks to 6 months. How does that work when your husband has his own business and you have 3 little ones.

My heart had also been drawn to China. I followed many peoples journey as they traveled to China for their sweet little girls. I sell little girls hair bows and become connected with a whole travel group who bought bows from me thanks to this sweet family! China was one of those countries I was frustrated with because the wait time was beginning to get longer and longer and was pushing 3 years. Then my eyes were opened to the Special Needs program and I have watched many families bring their children home through this program. So I began following more stories of people traveling to China, e-mailing questions and researching. China and the children of China but more specifically the Special Needs Children of China began to find a way into my heart!

We had talked about adopting when Shane was nearing school age but last year marked a tough year for us. The economy took a toll on Eric's business and he was forced to make huge cuts. It was a year of stress in all areas of our life. So I took my desire to adopt and all the research I had been doing and tucked it away knowing if it truly was God's plan for our family he would make his timing evident.

At the end of August Eric said to me, "I think we should start the adoption process!" I think I stuttered and said "What?" I was totally shocked and totally taken off guard! I think I said something to him like "Do you know what kind of year we just had? Do you really feel like we are ready for this? Are you saying this just because I am emotional and sad because my 2 girls are in school this year?" Eric asked me what my concerns were. Well, the obvious, the stress we had in life the past year. Also, the plan in our head or maybe my head had been to be in a bigger house before we adopted, be more financially secure and have the company at a stable place. My other immediate thought was are we really ready to go what feels like backwards when the kids are getting to be so easy. I love how Eric again and again shows me he is allowing God to lead our family. Eric reminded me that there are always going to be ups and downs in life and in the business and we can't let that dictate our life and God's plan and calling for our family. He also assured me these children had no family and were in an orphanage and I was worried about having room for them. Yes, we have room, we have extra food on our table, we have clothes and shoes for a child and we definitely have more love to give.

So the next week I began researching agencies that had a China Special Needs program. I e-mailed and called families that had been through the process asking their advice. On September 12 I sent an e-mail to Holt International requesting an Adoption Packet! And that is where the story begins on our journey to our little boy in China.

In the weeks to come I will post about why a little boy and where we are at in the process. We are so thankful for the love and support we have felt from family and friends on this journey already! We can't wait to see how God forever changes our family in 2010! Will you join us on our journey!

8 comments:

Tricia said...

So THRILLED for you guys! Int'l adoption is the journey of a lifetime! When Alan & Victoria & I adopted Sofia from Guatemala...it was the biggest leap of faith! But God was so faithful! I will be keeping you in my thoughts & prayers! Looking forward to hearing about YOUR little boy and the process! Happy New Year!

Steffie B. said...

This brought tears to my eyes sweet girl.....get ready for the most remarkable, heart wretching and some times difficult journey of your life. It will change you FOREVER!!!!

Hugs,
Steffie

Flip-flop Mama said...

I am so excited for you and your family Julie! What an awesome thing it is to be following God's plan/calling! We will be praying for him and for you guys! Can't wait to follow your journey!

Busy Mama said...

Praising God with you - Can't wait to watch - you know we are here if you need us!!!

Molly said...

Yay, Julie!! I am so very excited for you and your family! What a journey this will be. We are praying for your family and your little boy!

Gwen Oatsvall said...

First ... wwwwooooohhhhhooooooo !!!! What a blessing this journey will be to many and oh the lives it will change ... you can email me at twomoms13kids@gmail.com ... sorry, I have missed your email ... We have been in the hospital over the holiday and w/ shipping out Christmas packages for 147 it was super crazy the last month ... Would love to help you on your journey !!!! Another child gets a forever family ... that simply makes my heart want to explode !!!

3 Peanuts said...

I have chills reading this. It is SO exciting. Blessings to you on this incredible journey!!! I too would like very much to adopt from the SN program. My husband does not feel it right now...we will see where God leads him.

I am with Gwen above thinking about another child getting afamily amkes my heart swell too.

Jerusha said...

Your story is surprisingly similar to ours (except for the surprise pregnancy part!). :o)

Post a Comment

 
© The Journey To Our Son

CoffeeShop Designs