Monday, January 4, 2010

Why A Boy?

As I thought about adopting over the years I always pictured adopting a little girl. As I watched travel groups travel to get their little girls from China those sweet little girls stole my heart over and over again. I was in awe of how wonderful to have a group of people that you went through the journey with. Often these girls were from the same orphanage and had such a special bond. In my previous post I had talked about this special family that I had got connected with and then also got connected with their travel group. I watched a number of couples bring home a 2nd child from China and many from the Special Needs program. The Beckering family was on of those families that I was drawn to. I followed their journey to their 2nd child in China. As I followed their journey to get their little boy I had no idea what it would do to my heart.

Meet Andrew



This little boy stole my heart. I remember anxiously checking in on them everyday when they were in China. I watched this little boy transform from a sad, empty eyed little boy into a boy that looked like he was loved and full of life. As the days passed you could saw the sweetest dimple and and a sparkle in his eyes appear. I have to say he has one of the cutest little dimples and a sparkle that draws you to him. There were numerous times I would look at their blog even after they got home and show Eric pictures of sweet Andrew. Andrew stole my heart and inturn game me a heart for the orphan boys in China. I believe that Andrew is part of our little boy's story.


When I started researching adopting from China I also became aware of some statistics that I was so unaware of. In the Special Needs Program there are roughly the same amount of boys and girls available for adoption. The crazy statistic is that 80 - 90% of couples adopting in this program want a girl. The other statistic that I read over and over again was that 25% of professing Christians think or talk about adopting and a staggering 1% actually adopt. I pray that through our journey to our son we can touch the heart of another family just as sweet Andrew touched ours! Thank you Beckering family for following God's call and touching our family through your faithfulness!


7 comments:

shelley said...

Boys rock. We got asked the same question...."why would you want a boy from China?" He is the best blessing.

Steffie B. said...

It is a good thing that I don't have any make up on today, because the tears are just streaming down my face, Julie. I am so glad that you are following your heart, which I have NO DOUBT is because the Lord planted the seed. I will be here cheering you on every step of the way!!! ;)

Hugs,
Steffie

Andie said...

Praying God's blessings on you and your son as you journey to him! What an amazing experience!

Somewhere In The Sun said...

What a beautiful post! I so understand your feelings. Our fisrt adoption was a boy...when most everyone else was adopting girls. We've adopted 2 boys and 2 girls. Those boys are every bit as amazing and wonderful as the girls! I too pray God's blessings on your journey.

~Lynn

Carey said...

Beautiful!!

I can't imagine life without our Jaden, who was 'supposed' to be a girl. God has wonderful plans!!

Gail said...

Beautiful post. We have 3 children...the youngest 2 adopted from China. The second one is a boy that was originally going to be a girl. Boys are amazing and wonderful... sometimes God has other plans, like in our case! we couldn't be more pleased.

Best wishes to you!

3 Peanuts said...

Such a beautiful story. Little Andrew is one of the cutest lil guys I have ever seen. I agree about the dimple ad the sparkle in his eyes. Isn't it great that God uses us to encourage and inspire one another. I love how you and your hubby prayed diligently the week before you submitted your paperwork. If your adoption is typical, you will face many, many stumbling blocks...we all do. I have never even shared half the horrible road blocks we faced on our journey. But have faith, He would not have planted the seed if He did not want you to do this.

Post a Comment

 
© The Journey To Our Son

CoffeeShop Designs